Database Sharing Software – FAQ
Below are some of the most frequently asked questions regarding the DataPortal™ database sharing software. If you have a question that’s not answered here, please contact us.
What is DataPortal™?
How is DataPortal™ used?
How is DataPortal™ different from existing database tools and EDI solutions?
The advantage of DataPortal™ over previous solutions requiring development resources becomes clear when business data must be shared among hundreds of business partners. With DataPortal™, partners can be sharing and exchanging data within minutes, while solutions requiring collaborative development efforts could take days, weeks or longer. Further, multiple solutions must often be worked out among different partners. DataPortal™ takes advantage of the natural standards that are so widely used today, the Web and SQL based databases, to provide a solution requiring minimal effort. And the DataPortal™ solution scales to meet the needs of new partners without any additional effort, reducing the burden on new partners to join in the business processing community.
Where can DataPortal™ be used?
Notable examples include:
- Manufacturing / Supply Chain Management – sharing order information with hundreds of companies all over the World in minutes
- EDI Replacement: Companies needing a more agile solution to replace traditional, legacy EDI (Electronic Data Interchange)
- Dynamic Sales Data Delivery: Companies needing dynamic sales data delivered to databases in the field, e.g. MS Access/Excel
- Mergers, Re-Organizations: Businesses needing to share data with new companies, departments, partners, suppliers…
- Automation of Business Processes: Companies needing to automate end-to-end business processes (sales, billing, orders, inventory.)
- Financial Data Exchange: Companies needing to exchange financial data (transactions, account info…)
What is needed to use DataPortal™?
A database can be easily published, in seconds, to a DataPortal™ server by using the Web form GUI provided by the server. A published database is available to any authorized client and the client can request that the datasource be transferred to any supported database of choice. The transfer works across database vendors and over the Web. The only information required by the client is a URL location for the DataPortal™ server.
Also, similar to the Web, in the DataPortal™ pricing model, the different client versions are available at no cost. There is a fee only for DataPortal™ servers.